Thursday, June 25, 2009

Eating Frog Legs and Spicy Cow Hells

Okay, so maybe it is a cow heel, but I ate it whatever it was, and the package really does say Spicy Cow Hells. It’s in this little foil wrapper and I tore it open with my teeth. I expected it to juice everywhere, but it was in fact a small solid gelatinous sphere minus any juiciness. I ate the rubbery gel and thought it was gross but, instead of rejecting the other half, I ate it. Salty and slightly beefy…texture like a gummy bear…slight beef jerky aftertaste…okay, one more bite and it’s gone (repeat sensory experience).

We went to Mr. Steak for lunch today—for steaks--and they don’t ask you how you like it cooked, but rather how many minutes you’d like it cooked. I went for pink, which I think was 3 minutes, but I’m not really sure. Next I could choose from pepper sauce or mushroom sauce. I opted for the mushrooms. My steak and Renee’s came out first. They came on a sizzling skillet with a lid. The waiter gave me a big white napkin, which wasn’t for my lap as I had anticipated. The waiter held it up in front of me so, I was going to tuck it into my shirt…an ancient Chinese tradition? Just as I grabbed the napkin, I saw my student hold it up when the sizzling platter was un-lidded. Ah…a shield!

It came with an egg and some rotisserie pasta and was all bathing in a delicious sauce. My steak was the smallest as mine was gone first. Oh, yes! The frog legs! As we were leafing through the menu, I read the word “frog legs” aloud. All three students perked up and became very enthusiastic about this appetizer. This is the part that I thought was funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment