Thursday, June 25, 2009

Crossing the road for peanut butter

Thurs June 25, 2009

Crossing the Road for Peanut Butter

I’ve been here only 14 days and I finally broke down and bought some peanut butter. I got some skippy and some McCormick blueberry jam. I went to the bakery and got some bread. I saw some Americans in the elevator and wanted to be their insta-friends. I’m waiting for a knife from housekeeping, but I’m fully prepared to use my fingers in about 3 minutes.

I crossed 2 major streets to get to the store and it is like saying, hello death, you look just like a car crash. Even though the light has a green walking guy on it, this is merely a suggestion. Cars have the right of way, followed by busses, taxis, bikes, mopeds, and welded together bike/trailer combination hauling contraptions. Just because it looks like a one way street, doesn’t mean that the little guys on scooters and bikes can’t come flying from the street, the sidewalk or??? from any direction.

My tactic is to pretend to be a Chinese person’s shadow when crossing the street because surely shadows are invincible. Oooh! Here’s my knife!

Utility knife

My knife had a weird grease coat on it and it made me think of my secret utility butter knife I keep in the drawer. I know which one it is, even though it looks like all the others. I use it to tighten screws and once or twice I think I used it to scrape something and once to do some indoor gardening. I don’t use it for food because it gives me the heebie jeebies just a little. I know too much about it, that’s why. [ed by Moe: I wonder how often I use this knife for my food since you never told me about it]

This one perhaps is the kitchen’s utility knife, I thought. Maybe they use it to unclog drains, or fish something out of a crack too narrow for a chopstick. Well, I am ahead of them, because I used my round bar of hotel face soap to sterilize it. Then what the soap wouldn’t remove, I polished with my bath towel. It was shiny and clean. Then I made my sandwich and ate it. I think I’ll make one more.

No comments:

Post a Comment